The Science Bit
Science behind the products
Microbial Technology – The active ingredients in Bio Green products are naturally occuring bacteria and enzymes.
What are Bacteria?
Bacteria are nature’s primary decomposers. Their action helps nature recycle nutrients to be used again. They act by producing specific enzymes capable of breaking down organics present in their environment.
What are Enzymes?
Enzymes are natural catalysts produced by all living organisms. They breakdown and digest organics present by attaching themselves to the substance present There are many different types of enzymes that exist in nature and each one has been naturally designed to breakdown certain substances.
What are FOGs?
Fats, Oils and Grease-known collectively as FOG-represents the most serious enemy of our sewer lines. When FOG is dumped down the drain, it forms large, thick grease balls that clog the pipes. Clogged pipes can result in sewer backups and spills, creating environmental problems, traffic tie-ups, or even flooded homes and businesses.
What is BOD and COD?
BOD stands for Biological Oxygen Demand is a chemical procedure for determining how fast biological organisms use up oxygen in a body of water. It is used in water quality management and is used as an indication of the quality of a water source. COD stands for Chemical Oxygen Demand and is an indication of the level of organic pollutants found in surface water and is a useful measure of water quality. The lower the BOD and COD the higher the quality of water.Many governments impose strict regulations regarding the maximum chemical oxygen demand allowed in wastewater before they can be returned to the environment.
What are TSS's?
TSS stands for Total Suspended Solids and is another form of water quality measurement.
All about TSS’s
How are they used?
The active ingredient in our formulations is a live bacterium. These bacteria have been selected from nature for specific capabilities and then adapted to maximise those capabilities in drains and grease traps.
The enzymes used in Bio Green products are :
- Protease – treats protein based products such as dairy and meat waste.
- Amylase – treatins starch based waste products
- Lipase – breaks down fats oils and grease waste products
- Cellulase – help break down paper and textile materials.
Products containing these bacteria and enzymes fully degrade and digest FOG, converting these wastes into carbon dioxide and water and significantly reduce BOD, COD and TSS present.
Why are they used?
Enzymes eliminate the need for chemicals within our cleaning products, changing how they work in the environment – making them green!
- Cost effective – they can be used over and over, so fewer products are needed.
- High efficiency rate – they replace the larger amounts of chemicals required in traditional cleaning products for the same clean.
- Beneficial to the surfaces they are cleaning – not as abrasive so they don’t destroy the fabric.
- Fully biodegradable & save large amounts of raw materials, energy and water because shorter washing cycles are required.
- Work faster because they cause natural reactions to occur faster.
Why choose our products?
- 100X more concentrated than other branded products, more effective and longer lasting.
- Only use Class 1 bacteria.
- Unlike many other cleaning products, each of the biological products is specially formulated to target a specific waste problem therefore resulting in a cost- effective solution to long term problems.
- 100% natural ingredients with no hidden chemicals.
- Results seen just 4-6 weeks after application.
"Previous to using Bio Green’s products and services I was having my drains jetted 3-4 times a year, that also includes me rodding the drains quite frequently. Since using the Bio Green dosing system for the last 3 years we haven’t had to get it the done once!"
Executive Chef, Cambs Cuisine